Reversible and Irreversible dementia
Reversible dementias can be treated a if they are caught early. These causes of dementia are usually ruled out first before a diagnosis is reached. In some cases, early detection can lead to a complete reversal of the symptoms of dementia.
The causes of reversible dementia are.
- Sensory (Hearing and vision issues)
- Infections(Syphilis, meningitis)
- Medications and substance abuse (Anticholinergics, antihypertensives)
- Neurological problems such as tumors/ Normal pressure hydrocephalus.
- Metabolic problems
- Thyroid abnormalities
- Vitamin deficiencies (B12, Folate, B3,B1 Deficiency)
Neuroimaging techniques such as brain scans and a few simple blood investigations can be done to rule out the above causes of dementia.
In addition to the above classification, Dementia is also classified into specific subtypes based on symptoms and causation. The following 4 types of dementia cover approximately 95 -99 percent of all diagnosable cases of dementia.
- Alzheimers Dementia
- Picks Dementia
- Lewy Body Dementis
- Vascular Dementia